Tuesday, April 24

Corinne Martin











I became aware of the Lebanese Designer Corinne Martin during my Foundation year and have always admired her work. I can now finally use her as a source of inspiration for my Final Major Project.

I was reading her interview and this part stood out the most as it is the whole intention and idea behindo my FMP project! (globalization, global visual language and recognition/identity). I think it's such a coincidence that i came across it:


"Many of your paintings and photographs focus on popular soft drinks and food items with you choosing to depict their names in the Arabic script. Yet, someone unfamiliar with the Arabic script is still nevertheless able to recognise the icons of Pringles or Pepsi. Are you making a statement on globalisation through the way icons form a global visual language of their own?

Everybody has similar experiences regardless of where they live in the world. I think the meeting of East and West is a positive step for the Middle East because the East has strong, defined visions about what they want to achieve and possess the requisite financial capabilities while the West in turn provides the tools and progressive ideology to realise those visions. My work is therefore an organic blending of East and West. My Middle Eastern roots feed my passion and creativity while my Western roots have equipped me with the skills to respond to and express the latter."

No comments:

Post a Comment