Monday, March 7

Conversation

So when i opened up my package and so the dvd of "Helvetica" i got excited and my dad came over and saw it.

Dad: So what is it?
Me: A typeface
Dad: What's so special about it?
Me: It's Helvetica!
Dad: So. It looks like all the other types.

That was a frustrating moment for me and i was surprised at myself that i actually got offended. I tried explaining to my dad about Helvetica and it being one of the most known typefaces..... etc, but all i got was a blank stare and silence. He tried convincing me it looked like all the other typefaces, sigh. It was a funny experience i guess i learnt to keep quiet about my brief knowledge on type. I can't wait to learn so much more.

I have a feeling this summer will be interesting as I'm the type of person who gets all excited when i see interesting typography or see i typeface i know. And so my extended family e.g my cousins will definitely look at me weirdly and laugh at me for being such a typography geek. They don't even know what typography is so it will be interesting to try and explain to them my excitements. I look forward to that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment